Ten Facts about Tea
1. Ireland is the largest nation of tea drinkers per capita. Britain is second.
2. After water, tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world.
3. China is the world’s largest producer of tea. India is second.
4. An estimated 85% of tea that is consumed in the United States is iced tea. Over 519 million pounds of tea are imported into the United States each year.
5. There is an estimated 1,600 different types of tea in the world.
6. The Lipton Tea Factory in Dubai, produces 5 billion tea bags a year.
7. Over 3 million tons of tea is produced every year worldwide.
8. In 2015, the total value of the worldwide tea market was over $22 billion.
9. According to legend, tea was discovered in 2737 B.C. by Chinese Emperor Shen-Nung, known as the “Divine Healer.”
10. There are 6 basic categories of tea: black, white, yellow, green, oolong, and post-fermented.